How do I become a member of NSHBDA?
We invite anyone who is interested in joining NSHBDA to please download and complete a Designer and Student Membership Application (PDF) or Corporate Membership Application (PDF).
Completed applications can either be forwarded it to firstname.lastname@example.org or simply bring it to one of our regular monthly meetings (3rd Tuesday of the month at 6pm at NSCC Waterfront Campus – see Monthly Meetings below). Check our News & Events page for more information.
Why should someone join the NSHBDA?
Our members are actively working to help improve the standard of design and drafting for homes and small buildings in Nova Scotia. We welcome anyone interested in joining to come to a monthly information session, and see who we are and how we are working to improve our industry.
There are 3 categories for membership:
- Designer Member
- For practicing professional home and small building designers/draftspersons.
- Student Member
- For students enrolled in a community college or university programs of design and/or drafting.
- Corporate Member
- For companies associated with the building design and construction industry.
The benefits of membership are numerous:
- Unique Networking opportunities with the industry leaders
- Ability to share common interest in industry development and active involvement in that development
- Access to leading-edge information at our monthly information sessions
- Enrollment in an accredited and recognized education program (including discount for full designer members)
- Listing on this website with your company logo, email and web address
- Participation in our Annual Design Competition
- Access to unique Marketing Opportunities (e.g., the NSHBDA website, three home show, display advertising, etc.)
- Presentation opportunities
- Possible use of using the NSHBDA as trade identity (i.e., “proud member of NSHBDA” on your website or business cards, etc.)
- Access to the Annual General Meeting and Christmas Social
What do you do at the monthly meetings?
Monthly meetings are primarily used as teaching sessions for our members, where industry leaders are brought in to bring us up to speed on the latest advances in building technology and industry practice.
We use these information sessions as an open dialogue between members and our industry partners, and are an opportunity for our members to share design concepts, procedures and details. We also use these meetings to inform members of upcoming courses, Association business and industry news.
Monthly meetings are preceded by the monthly Board of Directors meeting as well as a sit-down meal and social gathering at a local eating establishment.
We strive to make these monthly sessions informative and welcoming to all members. We also invite our corporate members to introduce themselves and let us know what new products and services they offer.
Meetings are held at the NSCC Waterfront Campus, with a video-link provided to members at the NSCC Lunenburg Campus.
NSCC Waterfront Campus
NSCC Lunenburg Campus
What courses and information sessions are offered, and who can sign up for them?
All of our courses and information sessions are open to all members.
Courses are the information programs that are required for completion of our Certification Program. Designer Members receive a discounted rate, and Student Members are only charged a nominal fee for courses we offer in-house.
Some courses are presented by the Nova Scotia Building Officials Association (see www.nsboa.ca for a list of their upcoming courses), and are not generally available to the public at large. We also work with the Nova Scotia Home Builders Association, the Nova Scotia Department of Environment and Labour, and other industry partners.
Information sessions are the in-house meetings held during our monthly meetings. In these sessions, we discuss industry news, the latest advances in building technology and industry practice. These sessions are intended to foster open dialogue between designers and their industry partners.